Recipe: Kale and mushroom rice bowl
Posted: 10/14/2018 11:52 PM by
Just Better Care
A perfect spring dish, packed with veggies and protein. This meal is sure to keep you feeling satisfied and full of energy.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 400g tin of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Pink salt
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 medium red Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 100g shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 150g oyster mushrooms, sliced
- 150g button or other white mushrooms, sliced
- 4 asparagus spears, chopped
- 1 spring onion, finely sliced
- 100g kale ribbons (stalks removed, leaves sliced)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fi sh sauce
- ¼ teaspoon ground paprika (not smoked)
- 1 x 250g packet 90-second microwave rice and quinoa (or rice of your choice)
Preheat the oven to 200ºC (400ºF). Line a baking tray with baking paper.
In a small bowl, combine the chickpeas with the olive oil and smoked paprika. Season with a generous amount of pink salt and toss well.
Spread the chickpeas on the prepared baking tray and bake for about 18 minutes. Halfway through the cooking time, remove the tray from the oven, toss chickpeas, and return them to the oven. When cooked, set aside to cool.
While the chickpeas are in the oven, heat one teaspoon of sesame oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion to the pan and cook for about four minutes until softened.
Add the garlic, mushrooms, asparagus, spring onion and kale to the pan, together with the lemon juice and one tablespoon of soy sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
Next, make the optional dressing by combining one teaspoon of sesame oil, one tablespoon of soy sauce, the fish sauce and ground paprika in a jar. Seal with the lid and shake well.
Pop the rice and quinoa into the microwave and cook according to the packet instructions.
Divide the rice, mushroom and kale mixture between two serving bowls. Top with the chickpeas and drizzle with a little of the dressing.
Pick up a copy of Simple and Lean by Sally Obermeder and Maha Koraiem for more great recipes. Simple and Lean is $24.99 RRP and is available from shop.swiish.com, Kmart, Big W, Target, Booktopia and local bookstores.